Dear Agony Aunt

     Hey everyone, Johanna the Elephant is back! Yuhuuu🐘 As you can see from the title, I am going to write a letter. BUT, it's too ordinary if I write it as 'me', so I will pretend to be a character from a story and write his/her problem. Okay, let's get started!

    I read this story on English E-Reader (https://english-e-reader.net/). From many stories, I picked a B2+ level (upper-intermediate) story, entitled "Oliver Twist". It was written by Charles Dickens with 97 pages which contain 25.756 words. If you want to read the story, I have attached the link⏬

https://english-e-reader.net/book/oliver-twist-charles-dickens

I write this letter as the main character, which is Oliver Twist. Here's the letter :


Dear Sir Robert Peel,

My name is Oliver Twist and I am an orphan. I have never met my parents, my mother died while she was giving birth me and I do not know either my father is alive or not. I once lived in a workhouse lorded by Mr. Bumble, but he sold me to an undertaker. Sadly, I could not bear more violence. Now, I am in London. Yes, I ran away with no idea where to live, but then I met The Dodger and Charley Bates. They are bandits, but they willingly give me a place to live and food to eat. They tried to make me a bandit as they are by teaching me how to steal, but I always failed. I always wanted to get out from this house but when I succeed, they will immediately drag me back. I wanted to live peacefully like the other children, should I fight or accept my fate and forget my desire? 

Best regards,

Oliver Twist 

    Why do I choose this famous Londoner? Who is he? Robert Peel is known as the "Father of Modern Policing". He became a British Prime Minister twice and created the Metropolitan Police Force in London, the policemen were nicknamed "bobbies" or "peelers". If Oliver Twist sent the letter to him, he could arrest the bandits easily. He also could free Oliver from fear and made London a better place.

    That's all for today. How's it? If you were Oliver, what would you do? Comment down below😉 Thank you!🐘



Comments

Popular Posts